UPI in English  |   UPI Arabic  |   UPI en Español  |   UPIU

Gas leak kills groom, four others in Istanbul apartment

Published By United Press International
ISTANBUL, Turkey, Jan. 2 (UPI) -- Five Afghans died in Turkey of apparent carbon monoxide poisoning three days after one of the dead was married, authorities said.

The deaths in an apartment in Istanbul were caused by a leak of the poisonous gas from a gas heater that was not properly installed, Today's Zaman reported Tuesday.

One of the deceased, Khudayverdi Saifullah, 21, had been married only three days earlier. His wife was not in the building because she had traveled to Canada after the wedding.

Saifullah was awaiting his travel documents so he could join his bride in Canada.
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Photo Gallery
1 of 1
Tour de France concludes in Paris
Race winner Bradley Wiggins of Great Britain (C) stands between second place finisher Christopher Froome of Great Britain (L) and third place finisher Vincenzo Nibali of Italy on the presentation podium following the final stage of the Tour de France in Paris on July 22, 2012. Wiggins of Great Britain became that country's first ever overall winner of the Tour de France. UPI/David Silpa