UPI in English  |   UPI Arabic  |   UPI en Español  |   UPIU

Five Chinese boys died of CO poisoning

Published By United Press International
BIJIE, China, Nov. 18 (UPI) -- Investigators said it appeared five children whose bodies were found in a garbage bin in southwestern China were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Autopsies confirmed the boys, all street children about 10 years old, died from the deadly gas and ruled out death from injuries or strangling, Communist Party sources in Guizhou Province told China's official Xinhua News Agency.

Investigators in the mountain city of Bijie found burned charcoal in the trash container, which sources said led investigators to believe the boys had lit a fire inside it to keep warm.

Xinhua said the deaths created an Internet uproar among Chinese who chastised the local government and the boys' parents for negligence.
© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Photo Gallery
1 of 1
Tour de France concludes in Paris
Race winner Bradley Wiggins of Great Britain (C) stands between second place finisher Christopher Froome of Great Britain (L) and third place finisher Vincenzo Nibali of Italy on the presentation podium following the final stage of the Tour de France in Paris on July 22, 2012. Wiggins of Great Britain became that country's first ever overall winner of the Tour de France. UPI/David Silpa